Friday, March 13, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread 101


Things you will need:

1. Bosch Mixer: $389
http://www.mykitchencenter.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=1192
2. Electric Wheat Grinder (I have a Whisper Mill):$179
3. Bread bags: $5.99/for 100
4. 7 Norpro teflon waffle pans: $10 each
Don't skimp on these, I have tried a lot of pans, and these make the crust perfect.
5. Good quality White Wheat + ingredients for the bread

These prices are taken from the Bosch Kitchen Center website, I'm sure you can find them online used or cheaper. I know it seems expensive, but we asked for the big things for Christmas and in a couple of years it will pay for itself. Don't skimp on not getting the Bosch blender. It's worth it! We make yummy smoothies all the time in it. More on that in a later post...

If your family eats one loaf of bread per week at $3.99 each (comparable quality and taste to the home made bread), you will spend $200 a year.

If you make your own, you will spend $16 a year at .33 cents each. It takes about an hour a month from start to finish.

You can also make bagels, pitas, tortillas, pizza crusts, breadsticks, cinnamon rolls, rolls... whatever. It's not only for bread, it's a traditional mixer too. However, I still love my Kitchen Aid and it's physical presence in my kitchen. The Bosch gets stored in the pantry for bread making and smoothies only and the Kitchen Aid is on the counter for every day use.

Here's the recipe: http://www.mykitchencenter.com/recipes.cfm
Here's some additional recipes: http://www.spoilthecook.com/bosch/Include.php?page=recipes

I have made the 12 grain bread many times and it is really good. It costs about .50 cents a loaf. I deviate a little from the recipe as I grind the 9 grain cereal with the flour, because it's just too crunchy for me the other way.

Give it a try, it's fun and satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment