Monday, March 23, 2009

Great Book I Just Read

Steve and I were both given 2 copies of a book from my aunt (so we could each read it at the same time) when he quit his job. It's called, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. At first, I didn't think I would like it--mostly because of the title and because I prefer novels. I also thought the idea of "winning" friends was somewhat disturbing, because shouldn't friends just like you because of who you are? However, after she prodded me several times, I did pick it up to scan it.

After reading a chapter or two, I found the book extremely compelling and useful. Winning friends really has nothing to do with it, it's more about being a better person. I can apply it to work, home life, church callings or leadership positions, changing negative situations into positive ones, and just dealing with people in general.

I found it to be one of my favorite non-fiction books because of the simple manner in which it was written and for the plethora of stories used to illustrate concepts. I think it would be a great choice for the book group I attend as well.

Anyone want to borrow it? I have two!

No comments:

Post a Comment