Friday, March 13, 2009

Artisan Pizza Crust


WARNING! DON'T READ THIS IF YOU ARE HUNGRY!

I have been wanting to develop a whole wheat pizza crust that can be frozen for later use (I know, I'm weird, ok, no need to rub it in). It just seems like everyone in our house likes pizza and I can put things on top that the kids (a.k.a. Matthew) would normally not eat otherwise (like carrots or caramelized onions). Yes, shredded carrots taste amazing with tomato sauce. Not to mention, pizza is easy and fast to prepare and bake. With the whole wheat crust and the right topping, it's very healthy too.

I had been making bread and noticed on the recipe that the dough can be used for pizza crust. I put my own spin on it and it turned out better than I anticipated. The smell of rosemary in the kitchen was out of this world too!

Please tell me everyone out there interested in Food Storage or baking breads has a Bosch mixer.... It's a must if you are going to make your own bread, because you can make dough for 6-8 loaves at ONE TIME, no kneeding or mixing by hand. It seriously takes about 20 minutes to make 6 loaves of bread! Then after it's baked, just pop in the freezer for a month of yummy goodness. Even picky Matthew will not turn his nose up at it.

So in my "Bosch" I made 4 loaves of 100% whole wheat bread and 3 pizza crusts. The dough was super easy to work with and I just mounded it on a pizza pan and used my handy dandy small rolling pin to stretch it out to fit the pan. Rolling pin: http://www.mykitchencenter.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=519

Then the magic. mmmm... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I love a good olive oil. So I took my olive oil infused with Italian seasonings (you just buy it like that at the store, you know, to dip french bread in or whatever). So I slathered the unbaked crust with that, threw it in the oven for 7 minutes at 425 and, presto, perfect pizza crust. I slightly undercooked it so when I bake it with toppings later it won't be over cooked.

Here's a link to the recipe from the Bosch Kitchen Center http://www.mykitchencenter.com/recipes.cfm (in Orem across from Target on Center Street). It's the basic whole wheat recipe. They have free classes that are fantastic and best of all they serve free samples at them. I also bought my stainless pizza pans there and they worked out great. I have two, although, I wish I had 3 so I could get a good rotation going on.

I think all in all, I made the bread and pizza crusts in about an hour including cooking time. Each loaf and pizza crust comes out costing a mere .33 cents. Can't beat that when you are on a budget like us.

I'd like to try a chicken alfredo pizza or prosciutto and caramelized onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment