Thursday, May 21, 2009

Quoteable Quote

I was reading a short book my Mother in Law gave me for Mother's Day. It's called Women of Light by Jack R. Christianson. There are lots of great quotes and stories in it. I would recommend reading it as it's only about 25 pages. The following is an amazing quote in the book:

"I don't want to drive up the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, with my hair expertly coiled, and with long perfectly manicured nails. I want to drive up to the pearly gates in a station wagon {or minivan!} that has Boy Scout equipment in the back seat. I want there to be grass stains on my shoes from mowing Mrs. Schneck's lawn. I want there to be a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want there to be dirt under my fingernails from helping 4-Hers plant a garden. I want there to be children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want God to know that I was really here and that I really lived."

I write this as I forewent putting on makeup and doing my hair so I could talk to a friend before going on a lunch date with Steve and my children have black dirt under their fingernails. There's something to be said for putting others' needs before our own. It just feels good!

No comments:

Post a Comment