Monday, May 4, 2009

Marble Jars


I have had so many friends ask about the blue marbles we have on our counter and what we use them for, so I thought I'd do a post about their miraculous powers!

For the last couple years we have instituted a simple rewards program with our kids that works amazingly well. It helps us to remember and praise the good things they do and helps us with teaching them important principals.

We have some glass marbles (the kind you might put in a vase) and a small-ish votive candle holder for each child over 3 years old labeled with their names on it. When they do something willingly, a chore, or something nice for someone else, they get a marble in their "jar". If they do something naughty or don't obey, they get one taken out. I know it sounds easy and too good to be true, but it really works for us! When they fill up their jar, they get to choose a prize from the prize box on top of the fridge or they can have $1.

The most important thing is to be consistent and stick with it. It's pretty cool for them to see that they have done 50 good things in a week or a month. As a mom, it's hard to not use negative language all the time, I find myself always saying, don't do that, stop it, that's naughty, no, you can't, etc... but this is a good way to say they did great and to actually take a little time to give them positive feedback.

It's also very effective discipline for us to say, "Don't do that or you'll lose a marble." instead of time out or other forms of discipline. Many times they will cry because they don't want to lose one, but they are learning about consequences.

When we go to the store and they have, I want-itis. I say, you can have that Barbie, but you have to earn it and it will take you 10 full marble jars to get it. They say, psh... no thanks!

I hope this helps, try it out and let me know if it works as well for you as it does for us. Hmm... just wondering if it works for husbands too?

3 comments:

  1. THANKS! I've been meaning to ask you the full version. I've heard bits and pieces of your method from others, but I wanted the whole shebang! Thanks Rachel! :)

    PS: You say over 3...does that mean I need to wait until she's 4 or would it work now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we tried this for awhile when Sach started it. It worked really well. Good advice! We need to start doing it again. I love positive reinforcement :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came over from Kim's blog and this is a great idea. We do something similar with tickets, but I really like the visual of the marbles.

    ReplyDelete