Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Value of a Dollar


Today as I was Yoga-ing, I was thinking about teaching our kids the value of money and that they can't just get something for nothing. I took Megan on a date on Friday night and we went to Pizza Hut (her school gives out free pizzas for reading), Krispy Kreme, and the mall to get her sister a present for her birthday. She wanted a Build a Bear for her sister and one for herself. While I could have purchased one for her, I figured it would be a good teaching moment. I told her if she did a lot of chores around the house, she could earn enough to get the bear. She helped me pull weeds for 2 hours in the back yard yesterday and unloaded the whole dishwasher today.

Another astonishing thing is the kids are at the perfect age to be really excited to earn $1! I love that!

She had $7 to start with and earned $3 yesterday, so she is nearly half way there to earning her bear.

By the way, I love Build a Bear. They last forever and the kids all love playing with them.

Some have magnets in them (they're so cool!) so they can blow kisses or for some, they have little animals that you can magnet into their mouth. Matt has a dog one like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment