Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nurses

My Mom is home from the hospital now after 2 weeks and a painful yet life saving surgery in her abdomen to stitch an ulcer. There were some good and bad experiences at the hospital. The worst was the severe pain, loss of blood, and her not being able to eat and drink for a long time because it may compromise the stitches. However, I must say nearly all of the nurses there at the hospital were so fantastic. They work long hours and around the clock and were so cheery and optimistic. One even came to check in on my Mom on his day off! I tell ya if I didn't faint at the site of blood, or freeze in a stressful situation, I would love to be a nurse!

One other touching moment was in a man's room I walked by each time to get to my Mom's room. He was always sleeping with his mouth wide open and facing forward toward the door. Often I saw nurses in his room tending to him while he was sleeping and trying to make him more comfortable. He didn't even know they were there, yet they tended to him like anyone else. My whole time there visiting, I never saw this man conscious. One Sunday, I noticed some music coming from his room and looked in casually and there was a harpist there playing hymns. For the first time that I ever saw, he had his head turned toward the harpist. His eyes were still closed, but that little change was noticeable. It was really quite touching.

The last day my Mom was on that floor, I walked by and the man was sitting up and talking to family members. I don't know why that made me so happy, but it did!

Anyway, this whole experience makes me reflect on the little things we do. Like the times we make the effort to help someone even when we think it will go unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment