Saturday, September 19, 2009

Lehi and His Family

This year I have really grown to love to read the scriptures every day. Not that I didn't like it before, I just didn't make it a priority.

I don't go to Sunday School and Relief Society any more because I am the Nursery Leader, so most of my Gospel instruction is on my own. I finished the D&C a couple days ago which I really enjoyed and I decided to read the Book of Mormon again. I have read it so many times, I always wonder if I will learn anything new "this time", I think I won't and then the Lord proves me wrong. Just in the first few verses I learned something!

I guess it just dawned on me that Lehi had lived in Jerusalem his entire life (his home, family, friends, business, and memories were all there) and how difficult it would have been to just pack up, leave, and then live a Bedouin lifestyle which was totally foreign to him and his family. They went from being respected to living in a tent in the desert. It had to be hard! Of course, the Lord sent him a vision and helped him and his family in numerous ways. But, it was just eye opening to me because I ask myself if I would be willing to do the same if I were in his shoes?!

Here is a beautiful painting of Lehi by one of my favorite artists. His daughter was a roommate of mine at Ricks (now BYU Idaho) Lehi in Jerusalem by Del Parsons depicting Lehi preaching in his home land

No comments:

Post a Comment